Debit Card Processing Services
Differences between Debit Card Processing and Credit Card Processing
Debit cards have been around since the mid-1970s, introduced decades after credit cards. For consumers, having credit and debit cards as an alternative payment method to cash or check is a great convenience. Each may be used interchangeably even though they have significant differences; debit card spending is linked directly to a bank account with automatic deductions for every purchase. Credit cards basically offer the consumer a loan of the credit card issuer’s money, so you can buy now and pay later.
Benefits of Debit Card Processing
Debit card processing offers many key benefits:
- They are a convenient alternative to paying by cash or check.
- Debit cards can be used for shopping online or in brick-and-mortar locations.
- Debit cards can help you stick to your budget. Your monthly statement allows you to see where and how your money is spent.
- Being limited to spending only what is in the associated bank account can help you avoid overspending.
Benefits of Credit Card Processing
Credit card processing offers the convenience of having an alternative payment option — similar to debit card processing — with three different benefits:
- Credit cards allow you to make purchases with borrowed money, i.e., from the card issuers.
- Some credit cards offer rewards on purchases that can include cash back, gifts, product or service discounts, or access to special events.
- Credit cards offer a layer of protection that debit cards do not. Federal law protects you if you need to dispute charges on a credit card, but not if you use a debit card or other forms of payment.
Ask a Merchant Express® representative about your options for secure payment processing in your business. Debit card processing is just one of the many payment solutions our merchants choose to grow their businesses and achieve lasting success. Contact Merchant Express now and see for yourself how we earned an A+ Rating by the Better Business Bureau for outstanding customer service!